GODZILLA & FRIENDS VS. GHIDORAH - BUKIMISHA: The Spiritual Voices of Akira Ifukube
CD includes Digital Download Package, 24 Bit Wav, MP3, Digital Booklet.
You can’t keep a good monster (or four) down! After the success of Bukimisha’s first album for BSX Records, we are proud to present more unique performances of the classic film music created by maestro Akira Ifukube. Released for the first time, outside of Japan, the complete scores to GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1964) and INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER (1965) have, once again, been painstakingly recreated using only what some have called the original acoustical instrument — the human voice.
For several decades, this self-proclaimed ‘secret society,’ whose name roughly translates as “Creepy Company,” has enthralled audiences throughout their native Japan with their amazing ‘a Capella’ vocal stylings. They have transformed this love of film music into a unique art form, building an impressive catalog of over 150 albums. Many of these feature selections from Ifukube’s vast library of classical compositions and, to date, over 22 complete film scores. Bukimisha was even awarded the great honor of performing for the legendary composer at one of his birthday celebrations, before his untimely passing in 2006.
This second in a series of exclusive BSX presentations contain the complete score to the fifth film in the Godzilla Showa series, San daikaijû: Chikyû saidai no kessen, originally released in the United States as GHIDRAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER. This was Toho Studios’ first “Mega-Monster War” film, wherein Godzilla and Rodan (his first appearance since 1956) reluctantly become heroes when forced to team up with Mothra and battle the space monster King Ghidorah. Here, Ifukube deftly wove new material with established themes, though Rodan acquired a different theme, which was originally composed for Varan the Unbelievable (Daikaijû Baran, 1958).
INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER (Kaijû daisensô) followed a year later in Japan, its American release delayed until 1970 (as MONSTER ZERO). Here, much of the action shifts to the strange Planet X. Ifukube offered new and dramatic musical motifs that captured this strange, dark world and its mysterious alien population.
BSX Records is excited to once again offer this unique performance art of Bukimisha to monster movie fans outside of Japan. Our album has been mastered by James Nelson at Digital Outland from the group’s original digital recordings and all under the supervision and approval of the group’s arranger Takeo Yahiro & “Great Mentor” Dr. Bukimisha. Exclusive liner notes by author David Hirsch explore the performers’ mysterious background, with details of Akira Ifukube’s life and career.
A special ‘secret’ bonus track, never before included their Japanese catalog, has been specially created for this release and will not be available for purchase alone by Digital customers. Details of this track can be found within the CD booklet.
This CD is a limited run of 500 units.
It is expected to begin shipping the week of Sept. 5, 2022
GHIDORAH: THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1964)
01. Ghidorah Main Title (1:19)
02. Princess Sarno I (0:47)
03. The Flash (0:33)
04. Theme of Kurobe Valley I (0:33)
05. Theme of Kurobe Valley II (1:07)
06. Large Meteorite Discovery (0:09)
07. Princess Sarno II (0:20)
08. Rodan from Aso (1:01)
09. Godzilla from the Pacific Ocean (0:21)
10. Magnetic Force Generation (0:17)
11. Two Monsters Appear in Yokohama (1:49)
12. The Birth of King Ghidorah (1:19)
13. Matsumoto City and King Ghidorah (1:07)
14. Godzilla vs. Rodan I (0:42)
15. The Fury of the Gravity Waves (0:56)
16. Godzilla vs. Rodan II (0:40)
17. Godzilla vs. Rodan III (1:15)
18. The Three Monsters Gather (1:42)
19. The Three Monsters Talk (2:17)
20. Godzilla Attacks Rodan (2:09)
21. The Greatest Decisive Battle of the Planet I (1:31)
22. The Greatest Decisive Battle of the Planet II (3:38)
23. Ending (0:45)
24. “Let’s Invite Happiness” (2:37)
INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER (1965)
25. Invasion of Astro-Monster Main Title (1:39)
26. The P1 and Jupiter (0:30)
27. The P1 Descends (0:47)
28. The Mystery of Planet X (2:22)
29. The Underground Passage (0:49)
30. Monster Zero (1:12)
31. The P1 Returns Home (0:12)
32. Washigasawa and Lake Myoujinko (0:33)
33. Godzilla at the Bottom of the Lake (0:11)
34. Appearance of the Disc (1:10)
35. The Electromagnetic Capsule (1:42)
36. Back to Planet X (0:54)
37. Arrival at Planet X (0:31)
38. The Three Monsters on Planet X (1:50)
39. Namikawa on Planet X (1:00)
40. Leaving Planet X (0:55)
41. The Earth in Utter Chaos (0:54)
42. Monster Control I (0:50)
43. Monster Control II (1:12)
44. The Fury of the Three Monsters (3:33)
45. Monster Mega-War March (2:53)
46. Monster Mega-War (2:26)
47. Ending (0:47)
48. Background Music at The Star Flower Club I (1:28)
49. Background Music at The Star Flower Club II (0:52)
Total Running Time: 76:42